Bet on Yourself

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

This is the year to bet on yourself!  Who can teach your kids with more love, passion or understanding than you? I know it's a nerve-racking prospect. I know you probably don't feel good enough.  I know that, because I felt the same things and I am an experienced and certified teacher.  No one is good at everything, but you are the best person to teach your children. You will be able to get the most out of them and the evidence is in your favour.  Your children will not turn out weird and they may even turn out better. 


No one is good at everything.  Teach what you know best and get help or outsource the things you aren't good at. My background is math and science. Reading and writing weren't as easy for me, but I managed to pick up some tricks along the way to get me by.  Then there are subjects like dance, drama and gym... I out source those. I've signed my kiddos up for regular, year-round classes to cover 'gym' and I get them other opportunities or watch videos to cover areas I'm not as confident at. There are lots of ways to enhance your child's education by accessing professionals in your community or online.  This is one of the reasons why homeschooled children tend to do so well. You can find a lot of good statistics here, but my favourite is homeschooled children score "above average on achievement tests, regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income." This tells me that a parent is the best person to educate their own children. You can homeschool your kids and it will be better for them academically. 


You are the only person, (other than your spouse), who can get the most out of your children. The article, The Proven Benefits of Homeschooling, also mentions that being a certified teacher doesn't change the academic outcome when homeschooling your own children. You know your children. You know when the best time for them to learn is. You know how long a break for lunch they need and you know what they are interested in to get them excited about learning. A school teacher will never know your children like you do and even if they did, they cannot engage your child in class of 30 like you can at home with a few siblings. 


The idea that homeschooled kids are not properly socialized is propaganda and a complete misconception.  In a study by Stetson University' Richard G. Medlin in 2013, it outlines all the ways that homeschooled people are socially equal to or better than people who had attended conventional schools. "[Homeschooled adolescences] have a strong sense of social responsibility and exhibit less emotional turmoil and problem behaviors than their peers." (Medlin, 2013)
 


Bet on yourself. You can do it. With God for you, who can be against you? (Rom. 8:31) If it is on your heart to homeschool your children, do it. Don't let insecurities get in the way.  You can do it!


Photo by Tirachard Kumtanom from Pexels

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Steps to a Better Homeschool

Using Technology for Music Class

The 'Cons' of Homeschooling