Using Technology for Math Class

"I can do all things through Christ, which strengthenth me." 
Philippians 4:13



 If you love teaching math, online math games and activities can deepen understanding for your children and students. If you are like many elementary teachers and parents, online math games and activities can fill gaps in math teaching or learning.  Either way, using technology to help teach math can be academically rewarding.  Here are some resources I use, and the pros and cons for each.  


This is a great, free website with tons of games for grades 1 through 6. I have used it at home with my own kids, as well as in the classroom to reinforce math lessons.  I love it and would recommend it to anyone teaching or learning math at this level. 

Pros:
- Easy to search math topics and grade levels to assign relevant games.
- Free version is very useful.
- Covers topics in adding, subtracting, fractions, geometry, coding and more.
- Games are constantly being added.

Cons:
- Not suitable for older grades. 
- Because games are always being added, older games are taken off the 'free-play list'. So a game that you loved playing a year ago, may not be available on the free to play games anymore. 


At TpT there are tons of free math activities and games that you can do digitally, (or print and go if you prefer). Just do a quick search and see for yourself.

Pros:
- Tons of options to go with any specific math topic.
- Great for every grade, pre-K through high school.
- New activities being added everyday.  You never know what you will find.

Cons:
- There are even better paid options, so I often find myself parting with my money, (although for $2 or $3 it is more than worth it!)

If you are looking specifically for coding resources, Codeguppy is my go-to option.
I honestly am shocked at how much value is there in activities and tutorials.  I don't know who loves it more; me or my kids!

Pros:
- Great for all ages! 5 to 95 years old.
- Links to other math strands like symmetry, geometry, algebra, area, art, etc. 
- Fun activities and drawing challenges.
- Learn an employable skill.

Cons:
- I can spend all afternoon on this site. If you plan to use codeguppy for a lesson, plan to spend at least an hour or 2. 


I hope you get a chance to try some of these sites out. They can really add to any math program and give everyone a bit of a break from the monotony of worksheets. 

Have fun and as always, 




Graphics by Educlips





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Steps to a Better Homeschool

The 'Cons' of Homeschooling